Thursday, May 21, 2009

13.1 Lessons Learned!

A few lessons learned from Sunday's half marathon experience:

  1. Do not run everyday in the week leading up to the race because something is gonna hurt after the race and linger on throughout the next week.  My right heel is killing me, I ran six miles yesterday and I'm back to limping around on my toes.
  2. If you need new shoes, buy them prior to running the race.  This goes back to #1, my heel really hurts!  
  3. Buy yourself a post race treat, whether it's a hot cup of coffee or a donut (or, BOTH!) and enjoy the ride home.
  4. Wear a watch because believe it or not, there may not be one single clock on the course.  Not one.
  5. Relish in your soreness the next two days.  Sounds crazy, right?
  6. Have a mantra while you're running.  While running on Sunday, I kept telling myself "Use your arms, take it easy, and enjoy the moment."  It really worked and helped me to relax and reminded me to look around.
  7. Even if it's raining, a cup of cold water down your back feels really, really good at mile ten.
  8. Drink!  Walk through the stop if you have to, but drink, drink, drink!
  9. Think about something that brings you happiness while you're running.  I thought about my boys and how much I couldn't wait to walk in the door and hug them, even our dog!
  10. Smile for the camera.  Flash a peace sign if you'd like...
  11. Do not over-dress!  I had on a long sleeved shirt, which I took off around mile four because I was so hot.  Due to my lack of planning and thinking, I had to move my number down to my shorts, remove the shirt, and situate it around my waist.  Total pain!  
  12. Use your arms up the hills, give your legs a break.  
  13. SPRINT to the finish line.  Pick out a person you'd like to pass, especially someone of the same gender/age group.
  14. And, since there is a .1 ~~~ Give a pray of thanks for having a healthy and fit body.

1 comment:

Shelly Arthur said...

And #15 Enjoy that nice cold free beer at the end. :)