Tuesday, October 20, 2009

New Plan, New Goal...

It's been ages since I've updated this blog!  Running has been quite slow lately due to a herniated disc issue, strep throat, and a bit of a "life crisis".  Deferring from Marine Corps Marathon was a bit of a punch in the gut, and I've had a tough time getting over the fact that I had to stop training.  It's so easy to forget how badly my leg hurt towards the of August.  It's easy forget about the fact that you could not tie your shoes or shower without crying in the morning.  It's easy to feel like a wimp for not being able to juggle all aspects of life when you're feeling pretty good.

Since I'm still down on myself for not finishing the marathon training and for deferring from the marathon, I've been plotting a new goal.  A March marathon (for whatever reason!) seems like a great idea right now. I do realize that this is one of the most difficult times of the year for my family because of Josh's busy season.  However, having been through busy season for a number of years, I recognize the fact that Josh needs to have extra time with the boys on the weekends (namely, Sunday's).  So, I really think that we could work the training out for this marathon.  We also never go anywhere (except for the Colonial Half) during these months, so figuring out training on the weekends due to traveling won't be an issue, either.  It's a lofty goal, I know, but I desperately need a goal- STAT.

So, I have started to pencil in the training.  I found a new training program that looks perfect for my needs- it's even more do-able than Hal Higdon's plan. The training program is from the book, Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham (RW's Penguin!).  It is an easy, motivating, and interesting read, which is exactly what I need right now.

On a side note, today's run was absolutely fantastic!  There is a meteor shower right now that is just incredible.  I'm pretty sure that I saw about four or five shooting stars.  It was the perfect start to a beautiful day!

No comments: