Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I think I can...

The seed has been planted.  I'm convinced that I can run a spring marathon.  Right now I'm feeling pretty good - the aches and pains have subsided for the moment.  And, I found a new plan that I am pretty excited about trying.  I like that I am not familiar with this plan, which I can't say for the Hal Higdon novice program.  The one piece of this program that is very interesting to me is that there are actually rest weeks.  The mileage gradually increases, only by 10%, for the tough weeks.  After increasing the mileage, though, then it goes down a bit.  I kind of like that!  So instead of running a 20 miler one week and a 16 miler the next, this program would call for a 20 miler and then an 8 miler.  That may help with recovery.  Who knows!  I just can't wait to give it a shot.  Provided I can stick to the plan, it should be interesting to see how it pays off in the end.  Instead of being 16 weeks, this program is 20, which probably accounts for the dips in mileage.   I just may go back to Higdon's novice I for next year's Marine Corps Marathon.  We'll see, I guess.

I've also started to contemplate whether I should run in the Colonial Half, which is towards the end of  February.  It's one of my very favorite races, but I'm not sure about two weekends dedicated solely to a race within one month of one another.  The Colonial Half is fun because it's a wonderful FAMILY weekend for us, and it gives Josh a tiny break during busy season.  I'm leaning towards not running that one, sticking to the plan, and running a great race in March!


I added a couple of my favorite running blogs to the links section!  Check them out.  They provide me with the inspiration that I have been lacking lately.

No comments: