Sunday, June 14, 2009

The heel is healing!!

Yesterday my heel did not hurt at all, unless I poked on the heel spur to check for tenderness. And, this morning? It didn't hurt when I wore heels to church! Hurray! I won't have to wear sneakers with heel cups for the rest of my life!! How awesome!!

Last week, I think it was Thursday, I felt so discouraged about my injury. I walked with my running partner and my heel hurt. I walked around the house in my running shoes and my heel continued to hurt with each step. The thought of not being able to run in the Marine Corps Marathon this fall crossed my mind. In fact, I was beginning to think about trying to unload my number.

Throughout this whole injury, I have not iced my foot once. That's like the number one thing you're supposed to do when you're injured. That, and stretch, and take Ibuprofen, I have done none of these since the heel issue began! Seriously-- who has time for all of that stuff, I thought. You know what, though? I realized that the ice REALLY helps! And, so does the stretching! I have yet to try the Ibuprofen with each meal because of nursing. It definitely seems like what I am doing right now is really helping, though.

So! Tomorrow I might get out there and run around the block before walking or I might just give myself a full two weeks off and run on Wednesday. We'll see how the day progresses.

2 comments:

Melis B said...

Good luck with your jog! Let me know how it goes.

I chickened out on my 1.5 mile run...I didn't want my knee to hurt and be disappointed, so I bagged the whole thing. Loser right?

Have a great Sunday!

katie k-h said...

I feel the same way about running tomorrow, so I'm not 100% sure that I'll get out there. I figure that a lap around the block shouldn't be too bad, but I still don't want to be disappointed...