Saturday, March 13, 2010

that's never happened before.

Yesterday morning, I decided to knock out the last long run before the marathon.  My goal was to get in about ten miles, or so.  Naturally, I overslept because this has been an exhausting week.  My clothes were not laid out the night before, so I was in a scramble, trying to gather things up to get out the door as quickly as possible.  I couldn't find any of my running hats, and since the rain was coming down in buckets, I desperately needed SOMETHING.  So, I just grabbed a ball cap and left.
Generally, just getting out the door is the biggest running challenge I face.  If I can get started with a run, I always finish what I planned and will usually (if time allows) add on to my goal time.  I can't recall a time when I started a run, and completely quit a quarter of the way into the run.  Yesterday was a first, unfortunately.

I knew within the first half mile, that things were going to be off.  I truly felt like I was running in quick sand.  My legs were heavy and I didn't have one ounce of energy.  It was a struggle to get through the first mile.  And, while I was out, I kept noticing everyone's trash cans. Friday's are trash/recycle days around here.  Our trash was not taken out the night before.  The lunches were not packed the night before.  All three of those factors:  the exhaustion, the trash, and the lunches, completely interfered with the run.  I couldn't let go of the stuff I needed to get done at home.

Around 25 minutes into the run, I decided that I was done.  I couldn't run another step; I was just way too tired.  Usually, I can always talk myself into a few more minutes.  Not yesterday.  I threw in the towel at 28 minutes and called it a day.  I must have just been too tired to go another step because when I got home, I was still exhausted.  Normally, getting outside for a run is an instant alarm clock for my body.  Not yesterday.  So, I slowly got the lunches ready for the day and hopped in the shower.  I didn't even take out the trash or recycling, Josh took care of that.

I think the days of sleepless nights and not eating dinner are starting to catch up with me.  I've got to get back on track this week, if I want to finish that marathon next weekend.

No comments: