Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My lungs do not burn.

Even in the coldest of temperatures, my lungs do not burn when I run outside.  I think they used to when I was in middle school or high school?  (I've been running for so many years that I can't remember that time frame, but I remember that awful feeling.)  This morning a good friend and I planned a run with another girlfriend, completely disregarding the wind advisory.

We met around 5:15 to drive to our meeting place.  The wind was whipping the car around the interstate, but we continued on to the running start point.  Due to a myriad of reasons, we were late in meeting our friend.  Of course, this meant that our friend figured that we were not able to make out for a run this morning!  Even though neither one of us had any desire to run in the whipping wind, we got out and trudged along.  I think we ran a mile- if that!  The air was so, so, so cold and my lungs actually felt a... BURN?!  Very strange. It's been YEARS, as I mentioned, since I've had a burning in my chest from running outside.

So.  Does all this mean I'm a wimp?  This burning nonsense?  Probably.  In the end, I figured there was no need to run four miles in freezing cold temps due to the wind chill; when I could just as easily run for an hour on the treadmill.  This marathon training really requires some dedication at this time of the year.

No comments: