Sunday, July 11, 2010

It was time.

Finally:  I bought a new pair of running shoes!

After running yesterday morning in a pair of  shoes for runners who need a "neutral" fit, I thought that my legs were going to fall off.  Honestly, my lower legs and ankles were so, so achy!  I think they must have worked overtime in an attempt to compensate for my pronating issues.  I think I've mentioned before that those shoes are perfect for walking around, but they're way too small for any sort of long distance running. Of course, my big toe nails are now bruised.  Fabulous.  I ran a marathon in March without any toe nail bruising issues. One seven mile run with shoes that are too small, and now I might lose the nails.  Go figure.

Michael went with me to the downtown running store to check out the inventory and the different styles.  I love Brooks and I'm afraid of Asics.  (I wore Asics during all of those injuries last spring/summer/fall.)  The guys at the store were great,  very knowledgeable about the different shoes and what would be best in terms of weight, support, and cushion.  I won't go through each shoe I tried out, that would be very, very boring. (Kinda like this post....)  The guys ended up pushing me to the Saucony Progrid Stabil CS.  Size 9.5.  (Big, big feet...)

I tried em out on the treadmill today and they feel heavenly.  I'm not sure why I waited so long to buy a new pair. (I bought the last pair in December- it's amazing that I'm NOT injured!)  My right leg still hurts around the calf/ankle, but it could very well be related to yesterday's escapades.  It's so important to run in shoes that are meant for your body.  Or, at least when you're over 30 years old.

Have you checked out Daily Mile yet?  I love, love, love that site!

1 comment:

Melis B said...

Fun! I love getting new shoes and I love Runners Retreat!! Glad you found a good pair. And you don't have big feet - I wear a 10 running shoe!! Yikes, that's big!! :)