Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Whole Neighborhood is Running!

When we moved here there wasn't a runner in site.  I remember feeling so sad that my running friends lived so far away.  It was devastating, actually.  Running with friends has become a huge, huge part of my life; and has been since the fall of 2001.  We were here about a year when I met a sweet, sweet lady around the corner who also happened to be a runner.  She ran in the afternoons, though, and I'm kind of shy when it comes to making new friends. Eventually, though, we got together one morning and we've been running in the mornings ever since.  I don't know what I would have done for the past three years without her friendship and company on these morning runs.

It seems that over the past few months runners have been coming out of the woodwork around here, which is so much fun!  My neighbor down the street has picked up running, and just this morning two other gals have joined our morning runs, too!  It's wonderful!!  There's also another lady in our neighborhood who is training for a half marathon in October.  Even if we all don't get out together, it is great to see familiar faces on our morning runs.

This morning I got in over three miles- that silly "plan" is so hard to stick to!! I know I'll regret bumping up the mileage too much before marathon training really gets underway, though.  We got in about five and a half miles, and our pace was VERY quick for the last two and a half miles.  (Like very, very quick, I kind of felt like I was running in a race, actually!)

Today is a big day because I am going to check out the double jogging strollers AND I'm canceling my gym membership.  I'm really sad about canceling the membership, but I just don't have the time to drive 50 minutes (total: there and back) a couple times a week.  It has been a burden to worry about how often I'm not going and how much money I spend on it every month.  I'm going to miss it, and the people, but it's not worth that monthly fee.  Plus, running is going so well (injury wise) that I really don't want to do much else!

No comments: