Thursday, July 1, 2010

Marathoning Dilemmas!

This marathon coming up will be marathon number SEVEN! When in the heck did I run six others?!  And, when did I become so addicted to running this far?  It's crazy, just plain crazy.  There's nothing like that marathon high, though, and it's the thought of that feeling that makes me feel so excited about Marine Corps.  This will be my fourth Marine Corps; once you run five of 'em you don't have to enter the lottery anymore. Really, though, that's not such a big deal anymore.  The race has increased the entrant field dramatically since my first one in 2001. It used to be a BIG deal to get into the race, I remember sitting in a computer lab my senior year of college hitting "refresh" over and over and over again.

The dilemmas that I am facing this time around are:  which program to use AND which shoes to wear while training.  In the past I have used Hal Higdon's Novice I program over and over and over.  The last marathon was actually the first marathon that I have followed a different training program.  My last marathon was my worst performance, from what I can remember.  So, obviously, I'm not going to use that program again, simply because I don't just want to finish. I want to have a really, really great experience, which means a faster time!  Translate:  3:51 or faster, preferably 3:40.  This link will take you to  Hal Higdon's Intermediate Program.  If you compare the two programs, the intermediate has two 20 milers, and one less day of rest/cross training.  It's definitely a step up, but my mileage is good right now and I don't think it is out of reach.  I can make myself get up incredibly early, so family time is not invaded upon too much.  I really think this is the one I want to try this go around.  Really, my problem is speed.  I don't work on that training piece AT ALL.

And, the other dilemma, the shoe thing:  I'm completely aware of the fact that there are places that analyze your running and BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.  However!  I barely have time to shower everyday, much less to drive far, far, far from home (with two kids) to run a few steps for someone to tell me which pair of shoes I need.  (It's the traveling with two kids part that makes the adventure difficult and LONG.) Maybe it's worth it, though?  Currently, I am running in the Brooks Ariel.  It actually took me at least a month to adjust to the motion control/support because it really does alter the pattern of each step.  The one thing that I really, really don't like about this shoe is that it is SO heavy!  (As in: really, really, really heavy.)  This morning I tried out a FREE pair of shoes from my brother, who used to work in a running store.  Again, they are Brooks.  In fact, it's the Glycerin model, which is an expensive shoe.  They felt great this morning because of the light weight!  However, there is virtually no motion control/support, which I think I need.  I love running in Brooks!  Didn't lose a single toenail with the last marathon, and I've been injury free since switching back to Brooks in November.  What I really need to do is either research this issue further or deal with the fact that I'm going to spend a day driving my kids to the ends of the Earth just so someone can watch me run for two minutes.  (Personally, I vote for research...)

Marathon training will start soon... Stay tuned for that AND a 5k race report!  I'm all signed up for Sunday's event in the park!  Yay!!

No comments: