Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Finally!

It's been well over a year since I've worn a watch.  When I walked away from teaching for a year, I took it off and haven't looked back.  Until I decided to run a half marathon last May.  And then I realized that the battery was dead and probably had been for months.  One would think that I would be tempted to buy a new battery or replace the watch, especially since  I just started working again.  Didn't happen, though.  I bagged the marathon, racing, (and running for that matter); which meant that I was not pressed to buy another watch.  There are clocks in the school and I usually carry my self phone, which can display the time.  Works, right?

But then.... I decided to train for this March marathon and I've recently discovered that I really need/want a watch for training.  I know that there are those fancy Garmin watches out there, but I think knowing the exact mileage would drive me crazy.  Or, maybe it wouldn't? (Who knows.)  Truth be told, I also couldn't stand the thought of parting with that much money for a watch.  I haven't needed a watch for at least a year and a half, so to switch to something that can track workouts, pacing, roads, etc would be a little drastic for me.

Today I finally picked up a cheap little Timex with a canvas type band.  I'm so excited to wear it in the 5k tomorrow morning!  It's been ages since I've raced with a watch!  Maybe I'll run faster?  Or, maybe I'll at least know my time at the end?  (Both would be very good things, right?)

I'm on week four of marathon training right now.  So far, so good.  I've incorporated weight training into my training again.  I completely quit lifting anything after my leg/back issue.  It feels great to be sore again.  This week's long run is only six miles-  piece of cake!  Next week is eight, which is completely do-able.  I think I'm ready for some longer runs now.  It feels so good to be back!

No comments: