Sunday, August 19, 2007

Rendered Useless.

Anything over fifteen miles really takes a toll on my energy level for the rest of the day. And, well, it just plain hurts when you've been running that long!

Aside from that, yesterday's run was great!! At 5:30, I met five other runners. We did a five miler around town, and then I peeled off with two friends and we went to meet three other girls at 6:15. From there, we caught up with the first group, so all together there were nine of us! It gets better, though, from there we met one more runner. Once we got everyone collected, we ran about five more miles together. By that time, it was time for four of the original five to head back to their cars, so the rest of us did another five mile loop. Are you confused yet? We like to change things up a bit, I suppose...

I felt fine throughout the run. As usual, I spent lots of time calculating the distance and multiplying it by various speeds. I do this all the time! It drives me crazy sometimes...In my head, I knew that I needed to get in two hours and fifteen minutes, at least. So, once I got to that point, I just wanted to walk. My friends carried me through the last mile, or so...it was probably less than that...

My problem with super long runs usually isn't the running itself, it's what comes afterwards. It's like I go into shock from the strain on my body or something; my stomach cramps, my feet ache, I have chafing around my stomach from the fuel belt, I'm STARVING, and I'm very achy. I've found, though, that the more I continue to move throughout the day, the better off I am. So, chasing Michael, while it's exhausting, actually prevents me from feeling incredibly sore the very next day.

I am very, very thankful for my helpful husband after long runs, though. I wouldn't be able to run marathons if he wasn't such a help with our little guy.

No comments: