Friday, July 13, 2007

A Dirt Road.

I've been a runner, almost, my whole life. In sixth grade, I ran a decent mile. From what I remember my time was 7:49. My PE teacher suggested that I run on the cross country team. I went home, baffled. "What in the world is cross country, Mom and Dad?," I asked. They got excited, and told me that I should RUN! as a seventh grader. You see, my parent's, have four children. And, the more exhausted they could make us through exercise, the easier it was to get us to bed at night. (Right, Mom? Right, Dad?)

One of my very favorite runs in middle school was from the high school to a street in town. In order to get from point A to point B, we followed a dirt road through an apple orchard. How I loved that run! It felt so *far* and it reminded me of my Grandparent's and the orchards that my grandfather managed. Did I mention that I loved how *FAR* that run was??? (Four miles.)

Now? That trail is almost gone, except for a small loop. There aren't any apple trees, either. And the really sad part, you ask? A housing development now rests in the hills of that orchard. And, we live in that neighborhood.

Before any other houses go up, which will hopefully be awhile, I need to get out and photograph that trail.

Yesterday's run was heavenly. The morning light was breathtaking and the air had a crispness to it, which is rare for July. After the run, I found my in laws walking towards this dirt road. Naturally, I ran as fast as I could so that I could join them. This was the first time I had been on that trail since high school.

It's been a great running week. The program calls for 3 miles, 5miles, 3 miles, and then the long run, six. Not bad, for marathon training, right?? Many people have the idea that you start out with the super long runs from the get-go, with marathon training. Thank heavens, that is just not so! The mileage does jump up next week, but I'm ready!

Update on the long one coming... tomorrow!

No comments: